Monday, January 31, 2011

Friday 28 January 2011

Friday lunch. After a yummilicious dinner of won ton noodle soup, I thought that the easiest thing would be to pack the leftover won tons for lunch.

Have I mentioned my awesome new lunchbox?


It's be the Nude Food Movers - and I love it! I think it's a great tool for packing a healthy lunch. In my effort not to go hungry, I am determined to follow the "rules" and graze all day, which means to eat about five to six small meals a day.

So, what did I pack for lunch? I guess the question is - what was leftover? I had leftover dumplings, half an orange, a cup of chicken broth and 3 chinese mushrooms. So I packed them all! I put the chicken broth into a microwaveable cup and popped the chinese mushrooms in it. And in my lovely lunchbox (which I will now name Lou-Anne), I packed the dumplings, chili sauce (which was also leftover), the orange, some cherries and a container of custard and peaches. Easy easy lunch. And it kept me well fed through out the day!






Did I mention that I LOVED my lunch box? :) I think I might actually name it Larry, as opposed to Lou-Anne, I think Larry has a nicer ring to it and growing up, I LOVED Robert Downey Jr's character in Ally McBeal who was called Larry too.

Speaking of celebrity crushes - I have never met any woman who hated Colin Firth. I love love love Colin Firth and even more so after I went to watch the King's Speech. Luke and I usually have date night on Thursday night, but this week, we decided to have date night on Friday night. We also decided to use Christie's very generous present (a $100 gift voucher to Gold Class) to enjoy an evening of Colin (that's for me - Luke was there for the story line) and a late dinner afterward (which I should mention - it was very hard to find in Hobart!)



I'm not a movie critic, but by golly, that was an awesome movie! I thought that Colin Firth's potrayal of a monarch was absolutely superb. His stammers were conpletely convincing and it kinda opened my eyes to the fact that not everyone wants to be king. I thought that Geoffrey Rush was brilliant too, but I don't think he was better than Colin Firth. For starters, he was playing someone eccentric - he didn't have to potray someone tortured with a speech impediment. Plus, he was also playing an Australian. Not to take anything away from his performance, because I thought that he was BRILLIANT, but I thought that Colin was better.

Anyway, after the movie ended, Luke and I raced to Blue Eye, a new seafood place where Tacos used to be. I think it is owned by the same owners of Flathead in South Hobart, so our expectations were high. I forgot to bring my phone, so no photos on this meal.

When Luke booked the table, he was informed that the kitchen would be closing at 9pm, so we needed to be there just beforehand. We arrived just before and managed to get seated. The wait staff were terrific - I mentioned that we would just order the mains because we were aware that the kitchen was closing, but she assured us that it would be fine to order a starter if we wanted to (and yes, we wanted to). So Luke and I shared a serving of chili salt squid, which was served with warm chorizo, artichoke and rocket salad, with a saffron aioli. It was delish! The squid was so tender, I barely used any effort in slicing it in half with a knife.

For mains, upon recommendation, I ordered the pan-fried blue eye. I was considering the steak (because I was having a conversation with my colleagues that morning about steak) but then Luke suggested that I should have seafood, considering we were at a seafood place. So I did. And I didn't regret it! I had the pan-fried blue eye, with sauteed potatoes, mussels and saffron and mushroom tapanade. It was so delicious! My only criticism was that I didn't have a spoon to eat all the delicious saffron broth at the bottom of my plate. Now why didn't I ask for a spoon? Oh that's right, I was busy stuffing my face! :) The blue eye was cooked perfectly - it was tender and juicy. Initially I thought that the potatoes were under-seasoned, but the fish was seasoned so well, it didn't matter!

You can check out the menu here. I highly recommend blue eye!

2 comments:

  1. Your Larry is so cool! Have you considered bento styled lunches? Tedious but something to consider.

    http://justbento.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne - I love just bento!!! I used to look at it on a daily basis when I was working at the Uni!

    I would definitely consider doing that - just trying to find the time! The important thing is just to get lunch to work at this stage! :)

    x

    ReplyDelete