Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cassava chips!

Yum yum yum... I love cassava. Although I never knew that it was called cassava because in Malaysia, we just refer to them as tapioca. I'm not sure whether I have ever eaten tapioca as "hot chips" before, but I definitely used to enjoy the crispy "kacang puteh" tapioca chips which were either lightly salted or covered in a deliciously sweet, spicy and sticky sauce. My mouth is just salivating thinking about it!


Photo source

When I found out that cassava and tapioca were the same thing, I was esctactic because the local Chinese grocer sold frozen cassava. I figured that it wouldn't be that hard to replicate these delicious crunchies from my childhood, but boy was I wrong. First of all, freezing the cassava completely changes its texture. I couldn't slice it as thinly as I wanted to and they broke in the middle. My guests still ate it, BUT I knew that it was a complete failure.

But I was now left with about a kilo of cassava... what was I was going to do? I remembered reading that they made excellent hot chips, so as I do, I did some research...

I stumbled upon this video here (thanks mate!) and I followed it to a tee! And the result? PERFECT tapioca/cassava chips! I fried some fish and voila! Homemade fish and chips! :) Luke and I think that we don't ever have to go out for fish and chips ever again!



Hope you guys like it too! Make a change to cassava!

x

2 comments:

  1. sounds delish hun. I had no idea casava was tapioca either, is that the stuff they make vege chips out of? Or is that some other mystery product

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna! Yes, I believe they use cassava/tapioca in veggie chips, that's probably what makes it so yummy and crunchilicious! :)

    x

    ReplyDelete