Saturday, February 19, 2011

Salads galore and my favourite meat

I think part of the reason why Luke and I are so suited to each other is because we both love the same things. One of our mutual love is Aussie's favourite meat: lamb**. I LOVE a good grilled lamb. I remember the first time I had lamb, I fell absolutely in love with it. It is a weird fuzzy memory though because I was 10 or 11, living in Malaysia. It was a family trip to Cameron Highlands (or was it Fraser's Hill? I told you this memory was fuzzy) with Deb's family and Uncle Casey's family. We hired a holiday bungalow and as luck would have it, THERE WAS A WATER OUTAGE. We had to take our "showers" from buckets filled with water - it was great! (as a child, it was very exciting, but on hindsight - it would have been nice if there was running water). But we had a great time! I can't even remember what we did, but I distinctly remember the housekeeper making scones for high tea and that night, we had a barbeque. I remember the food being amazing, can't really remember what we ate, but I remember the lamb. And it was the first time I tried lamb. I LOVED the flavour of it and have never looked back since.

How do I like my lamb cooked? I just love it with a toch of salt, and grilled (or pan-fried - which is what I do when I'm making it for dinner). I'm not a fan of crumbed lamb, I don't understand why would anyone want to put a crust on such a beautiful piece of meat. I think that because lamb has got such beautiful flavour, it should be enjoed as is. No mint sauce for me either - sacrilege I know, but I don't care! It has got to be pink and juicy inside and I believe that is the ONLY way to eat lamb!

In this dish, I went through the fridge to see what needed to be eaten. We had the following ingredients:

a) tomatoes;
b) basil;
c) zucchini;
d) red capsicum; and
e) fetta cheese

So I tossed the tomatoes and basil with some Paul Newman's balsamic vinegerette and some extra virgin olive oil. Tomato salad, DONE.

I then grilled the zucchini and capsicum, seasoned with some ground sea salt and black pepper and tossed with some olive oil. Topped it with some fetta.

All in all a very quick and delicious dinner! I believe it might be healthy too! *gasp*

**some people may disagree, but this is my blog, so my blog, my opinion - get over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment