Sunday, March 8, 2009

Auckland Part 3

I should say that this blog was written on my little Gambit (for those who don't know, it's my Blackberry) so there are lots of shorthand, lack of punctuation and lack of capital letters. Will edit when I find the time.

Had a leisurely faffing session while getting ready to take the explorer bus to surprise, surprise, explore auckland. $30 is meant to take u to 14 attractions. Apparently only three attractions are really worth seeing, the museum, sky tower and kelly tarltons. I'm not sure abt going to kelly tarltons, after all, I'm considering the dolphin n whale safari and I have been to the underwater world in singapore and the sydney aquarium, so it may be unneccessary.

So I headed to the museum to have lunch. And had to listen to this woman complain how outrageous the prices in the museum were. Hello, its a tourist area, what do u expect. Then she proceeded to complain to the manager abt the size of the font of the coffee prices. Very annoying indeed and was definitely interrupting my lunch, as she also spoke to me. I wish she didn't talk to me and just go away. anyway, I just scoffed down my lunch and went into the museum.

So it turns out I'm not that cultured. I really didn't enjoy the museum that much and didn't see what the big deal was. But it could be attrbuted to the fact that there were screaming kids around me. Yup, my visit coincided with a school tour. Plus there were glass cages of what looked like a thousand cockroaches and that completely put me off. There were other glass cages of creepy crawlies, which completely grossed me out.

So after the museum, I headed to Victoria markets where I was told that it sold heaps of arts and crafts. Once again, was rather disappointed. This market did not have the colourful stalls like Salamanca or the bargains like Victoria markets in Melbourne. It was really quite nothing really. A dead little sleepy market, with the regular souveiner stalls selling what looked like cheap china made goods. Definitely not something that I want to buy for the peeps back home. The only store that grabbed my attention was the nike sotre and tried as I might, there was really nothing to buy.

Headed down to viaduct harbour and wandered into Fox Ale House who told me that they WILL be showing the match live on their big screen tellies. Sweet.

Somehow found myself on Queens street again and wandered into the same stores. None of which were chic or fashionable. Are u kidding me? I was under this impression that big Auckland city would be the centre of cutting edge NZ fashion. Instead I look around what was meant to be the shopping precint of Auckland and saw nothing but b-girl wannabes with the bling. Those that were not dressed rapper-style would definitely not be considered fashionable. I'm starting to view NZ like how the Americans view the Canadians.

Nothing to buy, nothing to shop, this city is NOT appealing to me at ALL.

Cut to later that night, made my way to the Fox tavern where I was told that the afl was playing. Was it playing? NO, stupid EURO 2008. Are u kidding me? Soccer? I f-ing hate soccer.

Sorely disappointed, I headed back to the hotel, cabbed with this very eccentric cab driver, who is another story himself. What I will say for now though is that he nearly scared me half to death.

Thus ends day 3 in Auckland!

Xxx
Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra

No comments:

Post a Comment