Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dry fried french beans...

Ok, so one of my weird things is that I don't order vegetables when I eat out. It's not one of those OCD things, but I just don't believe in paying that much for vegetables. If I am going to pay for something, it better be something that I don't know how to cook, and it should be meat. If it comes with vegetables, I will still eat it, but It's not weird weird, per se. It's just a belief!

The one exception to that rule were these delicious french beans at one of my favourite restaurants, Written on Tea. At my friend Lakshmi's birthday dinner, I tried this dish, and I was hooked. I wanted to order it the next time I was there, but the person I was with had no interest in ordering the dish. A skeptic. Like me, before I was given the opportunity to have these delicious little things!!

So anyway, I decided to try out this recipe I found on Google:

Ingredients

  • 200g green beans
  • 150g minced pork
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 mini thumb sized ginger
  • 2 dried chili (well, really depending on how spicy you want it); and
  • 1 teaspoon of chili flakes (as above - depends on how spicy you want it).
Sauce
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Regular (light) soy sauce
  • Sugar
  • Sesame seed oil


This wasn't enough, btw - I added more beans after
Method

  • Fry the beans in oil until they become wrinkly (about 2 mins) - as for me, I left it in there for a tad longer than I needed to, so the beans might have been overcooked. They still tasted good though!
  • Dry the beans on some paper towels.
  • Leave a tablespoon of oil in the wok and add the chili, the garlic and the ginger.
  • Add the pork and fry until all the pork is cooked through.
  • Add the beans and sauce ingredients and cook for about a minute.



And enjoy!!!


I think the taste was almost there. I daresay that the Written on Tea version was better but hey, for a first go, it was not bad at all. And for a fraction of the price, I would do it again for sure! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment