Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rachel's baby shower cake





So I made this cake for Rachel's baby shower. To be honest, I was quite pleased with it, even though making it was one of the most frustrating processes ever. Cake decoration is never easy and a small kitchen does not help! Either which way, I completely blame the gum paste. It was way too moist and soft and it was just too difficult to manipulate it in the way I wanted to. So while the Copha (copha cabana... that song ALWAYS pops into my head everytime I say Copha. And YES, I know the song is COPA Cabana!) helped alot, I think I got over-excited and used too much of it. My new resolution? Plans my cakes way way way ahead.... colour the gumpaste ahead of time and where possible, make the figurines ahead of time too.

Suppose a baby mouse would have to do!!

For this cake I originally envisioned some baby shoes and a baby giraffe - but then I forgot to print the template for the baby shoes and Luke had gone to bed (the printer is in Luke's room) and then I didn't have any brown food colouring or the materials to make modelling chocolate, so I couldn't make the giraffe either. I didn't know the gender of the baby which makes it a little most difficult to make the cake, but hey, I'm always up for the challenge!



I flipped through the Cake Characters book that Yvonne gave me for my birthday last year, and found a few things I could use. I had made the baby blankie before for Luke's 30th, but because the gum paste was so soft and sticky, it took me an hour to get it right. An HOUR! For the baby blankie, which was the EASIEST thing to make!

Anyway, it all worked out well. For the cake, I made a Chocolate Dump-It Cake with a jammy filling and chocolate frosting. I got the recipe from Honor, who is an absolute baking whiz. She made this cake for a birthday morning tea at work and it was to DIE for!! My cake didn't turn out quite like hers, but I think the taste was almost there. Rachel told me that they all enjoyed it and that she wanted the recipe. The recipe below:

CHOCOLATE DUMP-IT CAKE

Ingredients for the cake

2 cups of sugar
113g of unsweetened chocolate
113g of unsalted butter
1 cup of water
2 cups of plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk (I used low fat though as that was what I had at home)
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Pre heat the oven to 190 degrees celcius.
Mix the sugar chocolate, butter and water in the saucepan, place over medium heat and stir occasionally until all of the ingredients are melted and blended.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl stir together milk and vinegar.
Once the chocolate mixture has cooled abit, whisk in the milk mixture and eggs.
Add the dry ingredients - DO NOT OVERMIX.
Pop into the oven for 30-35 mins.

For the frosting, mix 1.5 cups of chocolate chips (melt them) with 1.5 cups of sour cream.

And because I didn't have brown food colouring or modelling chocolate, I decided to make a white teddy bear

Even though it took me forever to make the little figurines, I was pretty pleased with the cake. For once, laying the fondant wasn't a drama, the only downside of that was that I poked a hole in the fondant when I was cutting the sides, which I was pretty annoyed about. But hey, it was 4 in the morning and I was tired! :)

Cutting the letters was hard!!! I think I'm going to get some little alphabet cutters. And for the future, I'm not going to use the black on these colours - it was way too dark.


Hope you liked the cake Rachel!!!

1 comment: