Thursday, December 1, 2011

...I'm going to buy back memories to waken some old qualities...

Have probably said it to death today, but am feeling extremely nostalgic. It started with a lovely facebook wall post from my friend Yvonne, who I went to high school with. And when I talk about Yvonne, Kok Siew and Jin Lee, I don't JUST mean people who I went to high school with. I'm talking about people who are practically my sisters. Back in 1996, I left home at the tender age of 14 to take up the ASEAN scholarship in Singapore. So did Kok Siew, Jin and Yvonne. We were on the same scholarship. In the same hostel. Yvonne and Kok Siew were even roommates. We were also in the same class. We spent nearly every waking moment with each other. And even though we had drifted apart over the years, we got talking again about a couple of years ago, and planned our ten year reunion, which was a trip to Japan. And it was like nothing had changed!!! Now we are still close and talk to each other on a weekly basis through the beauty of whatsapp.

When I got to work and put my headphones in, the iPhone played "Run" by Collective Soul. I felt like I was instantly transported back to my old room at Hua Zhong Hostel, sitting at my table, "studying". And Claudia would be in the table next to me, also "studying". And by "studying" I meant that we were singing, talking and laughing. This song was very popular in 1999, and I remember it clearly because I was studying for my O-Levels and the start of the song used to catch Claudia and I... "All these times contagious, I'VE NEVER BEEN THIS BORED BEFORE!!!" Plus, the chorus which was "Have I got a long way to run" was heard as "We've both got a long way to run" and therefore, we thought that Collective Soul was totally singing about us and our exams. :)

For all who don't know the song, here it is:


And of course, the lyrics:

Are these times contagious
I've never been this bored before
Is this the prize I've waited for
Now as the hours passing
There's nothing left here to mature
I long to find a messenger


Have I got a long way to run [x2]
Yeah, I run [x2]


Is there a cure among us
From this processed sanity
I weaken with each voice that sings
In this world of purchase
I'm going to buy back memories
To awaken some old qualities


Have I got a long way to run [x2]
Have I got a long way to run [x2]
Yeah, I run [x2]
Have I got a long way to run [x2]
Yeah, I run [x4]
Have I got a long way to run [x4]

I had a dream a few weeks ago about being back in Hua Zhong Hostel. It was weird, yet wonderful. Time had passed and we were all the age we are now, but for some reason, we were back there and were going back to high school. It was almost like being at uni and working was the "summer break" from what was acutally going on... we were going back to school. And that's not even the weird part. The weird part of that dream was that all of us knew that it was weird, and was likely a dream, but we were excited about getting to go back to hostel life and promised ourselves to savour every moment.

It is just so amazing that one song could transport you to a point in time of your life, and help you remember every detail of that particular moment. Nothing like a blast from the past to help you remember where you came from, thankful for all the wonderful memories and grateful for the beautiful present life you lead. Thanks for the timely reminder.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment