Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday night footy...



End of another long week - TGIF! (I know I've already said that in my earlier post). I'm totally looking forward to Friday night footy. Tonight, it's a win win situation for me really - Melbourne needs the Bombers to lose to even have a shot at the top eight, but boy oh boy, wouldn't I love to see Hawthorn lose another one. I just CAN'T bring myself to go for them - the ONLY player I like on that team is Luke Hodge. He is a champion.

Anyway, for Friday night footy, I decided to make footy. Food that you need to eat with your fingers - wings, ribs, chips. My choice for this evening: RIBS and to be healthy - the reliable, and DELICIOUS sweet potato chips!


I used a combination of the slow cooker and the BBQ - (well, Luke worked the BBQ because I'm useless at it and he is awesome).

On hindsight, the only thing that I would have done differently would be to cook the ribs after they have been defrosted. I forgot to defrost the meat last night (and this morning) so when I came home at lunch, I just dumped all the FROZEN meat with the sauce and set it on auto. It cooked for seven hours, and it was quite tender, but not enough (well, the baby back ribs were - the spare ribs, not so much).

Yes, you picked it - I also used a combination of baby back and spare ribs. Only because it was the first time Luke and I were eating baby back ribs and I was unsure whether it would be enough for dinner (yes, we love our meat!)

SO - who wants the recipe? I didn't measure anything - so just use your instincts!!!

NESSIE'S MESSY RIBS
Ingredients

Ribs - as mentioned earlier, baby back ribs and spare ribs were used in this recipe
Tomato ketchup
Barbeque sauce
Worstershire sauce
Chili Sauce (I think I bought blended chilis or something - they are pretty spicy! If no blended chilis, I would just use some tobasco sauce or some chili flakes)
Tobasco sauce (I used it anyway, in addition to the chili)
3 tablespoons of brown sugar (this one I did measure - but not intentionally)
1 can of beer (I used Cascades Pale Ale cuz that's what we had in the fridge - leftover from the engagement party!!)

If it helps, the rule that I go by is one part ketchup to two parts BBQ sauce or vice versa. In this case, I didn't have much BBQ sauce, so I just used one part BBQ sauce to two parts ketchup.

I chucked eveything into the slow cooker and let it cook on Auto for about 7 hours.

Remove the cooked meat from the slow cooker and in a separate container, dissolve some cornflour with cold water and add to the sauce. Keep doing so until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

In the meantime, start the BBQ and sear the meat. Then baste the meat with the sauce and sear both sides.

Finally, put the meat into a large bowl and pour the remaining sauce over the meat.

Make sure there's lots of paper napkins and ENJOY!!!

Happy weekend!

xoxo


Special thanks to my lovely Luke for BBQ-ing! :) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment