Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Rotorua Day 1

So I take the bus to Rotorua. Met my travelling buddy, Tom Morgan who seems quite nice, but not quite as crazy as I would imagine my travel companion to be, but it's only for two days, so if we don't get along, I suppose it doesn't matter!


Walked about 15 mins to the bus terminal (my sense of direction is not bad, actually) and then boarded the bus to Rotorua. The journey took about 4 hours, which was really painful! We finally got to Rotorua and got something to eat. And because I was craving it, of course I had the big breakfast.


My thoughts on Rotorua: small sleepy town. But don't let that fool you! This town is full of adrenaline packed activities and needless to say that I was game to do most of it! Unfortunately, my travelling buddy Tom was on a bit of a budget, so we're just going to have to make do.


Checked into BASE backpackers, which was pretty good,it had a thermal pool out back! I thought that it was awesome. The place itself was really nice and really clean, which has been really impressive to me! And the room I checked into had its own little ensuite, so I was suitably pleased!

So Tom and I head into town to check out the Jade factory. There is really nothing to Rotorua and the whole hype about the Jade Factory, nothing much, because it was hard to see the carvers at work! And it was a slow process, really not that interesting!

We then wandered back to the hostel and continued on to this park which was located behind the hostel. It had thermal pool and the weather was cold and of course Tom and I decided to have a dip in the pool! It was really nice and I could not help wondering how much fun it would be if I was here with my girls or a boy! Don't get me wrong, Tom was really nice, but I seriously wondered whether we could actually get along?

After that, it was drinks at this pub, which had all of one other customer and where we had some chips and onto the Lava pub, which was packed with the other backpackers who were staying at the same place. They had all been for the night Maori tour, which would've been nice to go, but finances didn't allow Tom to go, so we decided that we were going to go for the day Maori tour anyway. I was a little disappointed because I was looking forward to having a hangi feast, but oh well!!! Next time!!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment