Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dinner idea...

I have a thing for pork ribs. I don't know why - something about the sticky deliciousness on melting fat and meat that is just falling apart just appeals to me!

A couple of weekends ago, Luke and I bought some pork spare ribs from the supermarket. We really had a hankering for the sticky pork ribs marinated in the Smokey BBQ sauce from Masterfoods. Got home and discovered that we were fresh out of the marinade. Very disappointing. But thought that we could get away with marinating it in char siew sauce. I of course burnt it.

The trick wiith cooking pork ribs (well, my trick at least) is to cook it slow over a low temperature. The high sugar content in the char siew sauce made it easy to burn. So it did. And because I took for granted that it was going to work, I left it in the oven without watching and went on doing other stuff around the house.

So fast forward another couple of weeks. Luke and I had been to the supermarket and bought the marinade and another two serves of ribs. So last night, I made them. A ver quick dinner - perfect for those weekday dinners when you just can't be bothered.

As I didn't have time to marinade the ribs, I just chucked the sauce in and popped the ribs into the oven at 180C for about 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes, I lowered the temperature to 150C and baked for another 20 minutes. In the mean time, I cooked the rice (in the microwave - nothing too complicated) and stir-fried some red and regular cabbage. And voila! Dinner is served...

No comments:

Post a Comment