Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Wedding talk... part 2 (Part #1 being the wedding music talk the other day...)

After talking to my beloved high school friends, Kok Siew, Yvonne and Jin Lee, I realised that I should include more wedding preparation ideas in my blog. Just so that everyone who is interested is up to speed. (I recognise that there are heaps of you out there who don't really care!)

Theme and wedding cake

So let's start with the theme. I have decided that the theme of the wedding is going to be classic, so black and white with a splash of red. I note that both my mom and Luke's mom were not too impressed with the colour choice but oh well. I like it. I think it's timeless and classic. And it all stemmed from this one BEAUTIFUL cake that I saw while perusing in Book City one day:




I think the cake is simple enough to make, a bit of ribbon and fresh flowers. The hard bit would be to find a similar brooch. But I managed to find one on ebay. Cost me about $15 including postage. Bargain. :)

I also had some difficulty is trying to source the quilting tool, but the ever helpful and extremely knowledgeable Lila from Coryule (I think that's how it's spelt) in Bellerive Quay told me that I needed to use a dressmaker's tracing wheel. BOOM!
First dry run is scheduled somewhere in May. I will need to get the fondant right, and then it's smooth sailing from there. Failing that (as in failing to get enough white marshmallows), I can still just purchase the fondant online or something. It's not a big deal.

The other thing to decide in relation to the cake is what flavour do I want? I think I have made Honor's chocolate dump it cake to death and while that is still awesome, I might need to get something different. And even if I don't I will still need to get a different flavour for the different layers. Yes?


 Flowers

This is another thing on the list that I think I can organise myself. Bouquets are so expensive, and I think with a little practice, it will be easy enough to make the bouquets. I will of course be posting my practice sessions on here, so that we can see what it's going to look like.

Personally, I like the elegance and the simplicity of the calla lily. I also stumbled upon the following:




Photo credit
 

Photo credit


Photo credit



Photo credit

For the bridesmaids, I was thinking of bouquets of baby's breath. Baby's breath has a reputation for not only being a cheap filler flower, but also being cliche, boring and dated.

BUT - feast your eyes on the following photos:



Photo credit


Photo credit

Photo credit

I do not think that baby's breath is boring IF used correctly.

So that concludes part #2! The next one will probably be around centrepieces!

xoxo
 .

3 comments:

  1. Lovely....I like white lilies :)

    Cheers
    Keet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I hope all goes well.

    See my FB photo album for Karen + James wedding and you can see their classic looking wedding cake. :)

    Thought I share this with you, think it would be most useful for your wedding planning: http://pinterest.com/.

    Just don't go obsessing over it okie? I've not tried it but comments from the folks who uses it calls themselve 'addicts'. You get the idea. ;P

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cool - thanks! But I already use a similar application - it's called evernote. :) xx

    ReplyDelete